All Called (but not necessarily collared) – week 7 Menu
There is an old Christian tradition
that God sends each person into this world
with a special message to deliver,
with a special song to sing for others,
with a special act of love to bestow.
No one else can speak my message,
or sing my song, or offer my act of love.
These are entrusted only to me. John Powell (Through Seasons of the Heart)
Expressing that message, singing that song, offering that act of love will not only bring you the most profound fulfilment: it will also be for the freeing or for the enrichment of others. This is God’s calling to each of us, to unearth and to give our innermost treasure. Read Ephesians 4:11-16, Acts 6:3-7, and 1 Corinthians 12:27-end
1. God calls each of us to be a Christian – a follower of Christ – and to become a member of his body, the Church. Potentially he also calls each of us to a unique or personal vocation – a task or activity engaged in for the love of it by which others may be enriched or released; something you do as a freely-chosen expression of your nature and energy, something that expresses the unique essence of yourself which God calls out from you to be a gift to others - Frances Dewar. What do you do that expresses the unique essence of yourself and which God calls out from you to be a gift to others?
2. I believe God calls us to specific tasks or roles at different times. When was the last time you asked God to guide you as to your calling?
3. Our readings teach us that our gifts are to be used to build up the community of believers. As a church we are good at looking outwards, how can we better build our community and encourage and equip one another?
4. If you feel that you do have a calling to something you are not currently doing, why is that? To quote Jon Ortberg, ‘if you want to walk on water, you have to get out of the boat’. Please talk to Susie, Alison, or someone else, or attend one of the vocation days to explore that faint inkling (a notice is on the board in the South Transept).
5. Please spend time reflecting on the following, Just think – Roy Lessin.
You’re here not by chance, but by God’s choosing.
His hand formed you and
made you the person you are.
He compares you to no one else –
you are one of a kind.
You lack nothing that
His grace can’t give you.
He has allowed you to
be here at this time in history
to fulfil His special purpose for this generation
Lord, you have given me a specific gifting and called me to a unique path. Give me the courage to respond to your call, to keep learning as a disciple, to keep moving and growing, to ask daily for an infilling of the Holy Spirit, and to fulfil my role as part of your body so that we may reach unity in the faith and knowledge of you, the Son of God, and become mature, attaining to the whole measure of the fullness of Christ. Amen
If you have any questions or suggestions please speak to a member of the preaching team or leave a note in the box at the back of church.