Stewardship - Week 1 Menu
The definition of a disciple is - a follower or pupil of a teacher, leader, or philosopher "a disciple of Rousseau" or a personal follower of Christ synonyms: follower · adherent · believer · admirer · devotee · acolyte · votary · pupil · student · protégé · learner · upholder · supporter · advocate · proponent · apologist apostle
The following questions need reflection and should, ideally, be spread over a few days. You might find it useful to read, and mull over, the first chapter of Genesis.
1. Genesis 1:26 Then God said, ‘let us make man in our image, in our likeness, and let them rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air, over the livestock, over all the earth, and over all the creatures that move along the ground.’ Genesis 2:15 Then the LORD God took the man and put him into the Garden of Eden to work it and take care of it.
Do you believe that God loves the world and desires for stewardship of all we are and all we have to flow from our love for him? If you consider that stewardship is ultimately a reflection of your relationship with the living God, how might others view your relationship?
2. “But who am I and who are my people that we should be able to offer as generously as this? For all things come from You, and from Your hand we have given You. 1 Chronicles 29:14
Do you believe that all things come from God, or do you believe that you are yours by right? How do you decide on your financial giving, and when did you last review what you give?
3. How do you exercise stewardship of your life, energy, time and resources? It has been said that our financial and temporal commitment reflects our beliefs. Does your stewardship of your life, energy, time and resources reflect your avowed faith in following Christ?
4. How do you exercise stewardship of this planet, its finite resources and fragile infrastructure? How can you be more proactive in caring for this world? The following link may be of interest https://arocha.org.uk/our-activities/living-lightly-take-action/
5. Acts 6:1-6 Now at this time while the disciples were increasing in number, a complaint arose on the part of the Hellenistic Jews against the native Hebrews, because their widows were being overlooked in the daily serving of food. So the twelve summoned the congregation of the disciples and said, "It is not desirable for us to neglect the word of God in order to serve tables. Therefore, brethren, select from among you seven men of good reputation, full of the Spirit and of wisdom, whom we may put in charge of this task.
As a church, are we showing good stewardship of all that God has given us, how could we be better stewards? Do we reflect his generosity?
Prayer Creator and Sustainer, as I look at your creation, I see your creativity, your power, your sovereignty. As I strive each day to be a good steward of all you have made, help me to come to understand your character in new and fresh ways, and may I increasingly reflect your love. Amen
Please write any questions, or responses, on a piece of paper and leave them at the back of church or, preferably, speak to a member of the preaching team.